GENERAL USEFUL INFORMATION
A. Formalities adopted in Ukraine concerning admission of foreign students
Students who want to study at Bukovinian State Medical University can get all the necessary information by e-mail, telephone calls, and talking with officials. Booklets containing the most important information concerning education at BSMU, staying in Chernivtsi and Ukraine, play a great role in informing the future applicants. Booklets are given to future applicants during professional trips of the University officials during seminars, meetings with parents and future students abroad.
Foreign citizens who came in Ukraine to study at BSMU are registered by Immigration office in Chernivtsi region.
B. How to get to the University
Having received visa at the Embassy or Consulate of their countries, students should inform International Department, Rector’s Assistant for the work with foreign students or any other official, at least a week in advance about the date, time, flight and airport in Ukraine where they are arriving. More often a student, or group of students, communicates directly with a University official who gives them all the necessary information concerning the arrival. The University prepares a letter to meet foreign citizens with all the data about the person, invitation registration number. This document is issued by the University official to the Department of Border’s control an hour before the plane arrival to prove a legal entrance of a foreign citizen to Ukraine. Besides the University official, foreign citizens are met at Boryspil International Airport in Kiev by a representative of “Ukrainian State Centre of International Education”, the Ministry of Education and Science, Youth and Sport of Ukraine. The letters are registered, submitted an hour before the arrival or sent the day before by fax into the corresponding departments of airports.
THE PROCEDURE OF PERMIT TO EDUCATION (for Foreign Citizens)
The deadline to submit the documents for education at medical faculties is November 01, for preparatory faculty and language courses – March 01.
Foreign citizens are expected to enter the territory of Ukraine not later than November 01 of the current year, if later – by a special permission of the Ministry of Education and Science of Ukraine.
1. Copy of Birth Certificate (translated into English and Ukrainian and certified at consular establishments of Ukraine and abroad).
2. Copy of Certificate on Education (translated into English and Ukrainian and certified at consular establishments of Ukraine and abroad).
3. Medical Health Certificate (translated into English and Ukrainian and certified at consular establishments of Ukraine and abroad).
4. Medical Certificate on HIV/AIDS negative test.
5. 10 photos 4x6 cm.
Foreign citizens applying for the first year of education take an interview on Biology and Chemistry. Foreign citizens may study in English or Ukrainian medium.
Tuition fee in 2016/2017 academic year on specialty “General Medicine” is:
- $ 3 700 per year with English as the language of instruction;
- $ 3 300 per year with Ukrainian as the language of instruction.
Average monthly expenses for staying in Chernivtsi:
1. Lodging for one person in a room – 725 hryvnas.
2. Three meals a day – (50 hryvnas per day for 30 days); total - 1500 hryvnas.
3. Other expenses including buying books, periodicals, hygienic means, therapeutic-preventive medicines – 200 hryvnas.
4. Public transport expenses (about 8 hryvnas a day) – 240 hryvnas per month.
Total sum: 2 665 hryvnas (100 $).
HEALTH AND INSURANCE
1. Medical Services.
Foreign students may get medical service at the state and municipal medical establishments of Chernivtsi at their own expenses including medical insurance from insurance companies of Ukraine. Students are free to choose any insurance company in Ukraine.
2. Students with Special Needs.
In Chernivtsi region people with special needs are given aid in the following institutions:
· Bukovinian Interregional Centre of Social, Labour, Occupational and Medical Rehabilitation of the Disabled (8a, Pivdenno-Kiltseva str., tel. (03722) 4-59-04, 4-24-03; tel/fax – (03722) 4-73-71);
· Municipal Centre of Social and Medical Aid for the Disabled “Turbota” (18, Universytetska str., tel/fax (0372) 52-48-86).
Foreign students must have medical insurance according to the Order of the Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine No 673 dated 21.06.2001, which reads:
“Foreign citizens and persons without citizenship, temporarily staying on the territory of Ukraine, are obliged to have insurance policy (certificate) taken from or issued by the State Insurance Company of Ukraine, which guarantees payment of emergency medical aid. The above mentioned insurance policy (certificate) can be taken from or issued by while preparing entrance documents or crossing the border of Ukraine”.